HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 4

From:
"Murphy, Steve MS-Mail" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Murphy, Steve MS-Mail
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:05:00 -0500
Jim,
I have tried to talk to a Texas Instruments PLC using RS232.  I had many
troubles because some of their protocol included Enc & Ack as part of the
Data String.  I could never work around this.  What I did was to use a
RS232 to Digital Converter.  It has 16 Digital lines that can be either
sensed or switched via RS232 from the HP.  It works well for my three
projects, but may not for yours.  I am controlling two conveyor lines and
a small program to unlock two office doors using these converters.  I
have not tried to do this thru the terminal printer port, but use a ports
from a DTC.

So far the TI PLC is the only RS232 object that I have not been able to
get to work.  If the data stream protocol is more user friendly, you
should be able to at least talk thru a DTC.  I have been able to gather
data from bar code readers, printers, a phone switch, digital converters,
but not that darn TI.

Steve Murphy
Information Systems Manager
Salem Division