HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 4

From:
Mark A HOCRAFFER <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark A HOCRAFFER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 16:38:16 CST
I have done a little more testing with SAMBA.  Apparently the process
needs to run under a user with 'SM' (at least under 5.0 and having a
separate job).  I had created a user MGR.SAMBA giving it the
capabilities listed but the job would not stay running.  It would run
using MANAGER.SYS.  I incrementally increased the caps until the only
thing MGR.SAMBA did not have was 'SM'.  After giving it that, the job
stayed logged on.

I was able to transfer some 'medium' sized files back and forth between
my 937 and my PC running Windows 95.  I also ran into the same problems
that Michael Gueterman ran into with file sizes around 30k and above.
It appears to transfer but then just hangs the server process and gives
a 'This device does not exist on the network.  reading drive F
Abort, Retry, Fail?
When doing a NET USE, I get that drive being disconnected.  I can
easily reconnect to it and do a directory listing again.  Looking at
Glance while this is going on, it appears that the file has been
transferred and is attempting to be closed, but can't and eventually
times out.  Nothing exists on the PC after failing.  This also appears
the same with small files as I tried a 1k file with similiar outcome.

Looking at the end of the errorlog (log.smb), I find the following:

Warning - no statfs function
Warning - no statfs function
Warning - no statfs function
01/21/97 18:40:55 mahocraf  closed connection to service mark
Warning - chroot(/) not done
01/21/97 18:42:02 mahocraf connect to service mark as user MARK.
TEST (uid=228,gid=139) (pid 59048247)
Warning - no statfs function
01/21/97 18:43:55 mahocraf  closed connection to service mark
Warning - chroot(/) not done
01/21/97 18:44:36 mahocraf  connect to service mark as user MARK.
TEST (uid=228,gid=139) (pid 22807045)
Warning - no statfs function

shell/iX>

Looks like my clock is wrong somewhere as the times should have been
around 16:00 but still does not give any real clues as to the problem.
After placing  SMBSTATUS in the MPE file space and giving it 'pm',  I
can run it and get the following:

937 TEST.SYS(3): smbstat.samba

Samba version 1.9.16p9
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
mark         MARK.TEST TEST     17301905   dialhocraffer1  Mon J
an 20 23:49:42 1997
mark         MARK.TEST TEST     22807045   mahocraf Tue Jan 21 1
8:44:36 1997

No locked files
937 TEST.SYS(4):

So the connections exist......

Looks like it has a lot of promise just a few hurdles to overcome!!!  I
have managed a Lan Manager site for the past six or seven years so have
some experience.  We have recently moved to an NT infrastructure
complete with an NT domain.  Guest access has been turned off for the
entire domain.  How would SAMBA fit into that picture?

mark hocraffer