HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 4

From:
Stephen Hanselman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 16:16:53 -0800
Denis St-Amand wrote:

> Does someone know if IEM 4430 tape drives use the same mechanism as the HP
> "tape eater" C1501 tape drive ???  If not, does someone have a good source
> for new/used one ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Denis St-Amand ([log in to unmask])

Not to sure on the 4430 mech specifically but IEM did use the "full up
SCSI" mech from HP for a while.  The difference is the I/F pca on the
back of the drive the 1501 does not have address switchs or the complete
scsi instruction set (for want of a better term).

we've found that the tape eater reputation is true but is due to dirty
"dogs" in the mech.  open the drive up and use a "q" tip to move the two
tape arms toward the drum assy then let them go they should snap back
fairly quickly.  If they don't then it is possible that they are dirty,
cleaning is amatter of dismantleing the drive and getting to the bottom
of the mech itself then cleaning out any grease and grime.  we've found
that NO lubrication is needed they get dirty enough on their own.

We've managed to resuce several of teh mechs using this cleaning proc.

regards
steve hanselman