HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 4

From:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 18:22:40 +0200
Lars

I use a freeware PC editor called PFE. It's on the web in several
places. There is a 32bit version for NT and Win95.
This editor knows about the DOS vs UNIX file line delimiters, and here
is the stuff from the help file.

Detecting UNIX Format Automatically

When opening a file, PFE looks at what characters are used to terminate
a line. If the first line is terminated by a single Line-Feed character,
PFE assumes that the file is in Unix format; otherwise, it will assume
the file is in MS-DOS format.
Normally, if a file appear to be in Unix format when opened, PFE will
automatically set the Save in Unix Format file mode, so that when you
save the file it will be written in the same Unix format.
If you work with Unix files on your system, this will probably be what
you want to happen. However, if you normally want to save files in DOS
format, however they look originally, you can disable this feature with
the Options Preferences command.

This works well, so it is not an issue whether I edit a DOS/Windows
file, UNIX file shared by Samba, or MPE file shared by Samba.
Also, I can save a file in any format, so moving these between system is
a breeze.
That is another huge advantage of Samba.
I've just installed 5.5, and can't wait to install Samba.

Regards

Neil