HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 4

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 18:11:08 -0800
I am now able to do a clean compile of Apache 1.2b4 using gcc on my 5.5 system.

Most of the work involved process-related functions that evidently don't
exist on MPE.  But the Apache source has several defines you can specify to
say that these functions don't exist.

However, when I start Apache in standalone mode, it looks like it is failing
to fork off its child processes.  The main process terminates without error,
and no child processes are left running in the background.  Of course, no
errors show up in the Apache log files.  Can the POSIX programming gurus tell
me about any gotchas they've uncovered in getting daemons to fork themselves
into the background?

Since standalone mode wasn't working, I switched to inetd mode.  When I connect
to the server from a client, inetd starts up Apache.  However, when the client
submits an HTTP GET request (or any request), the connection is broken by the
server.  But if I display the $stdlist of the inetd job, it contains the data
that should have been returned across the network to the client.  The data is
correct, i.e. the contents of a web page -- it's just sent to inetd's $stdlist
instead of to the client.  Are there any issues about inetd-spawned processes
inheriting the incoming TCP connection that I should know about?
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/