HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 4

From:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 14:36:56 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
says...

>David writes:
>>
>>   System Abort 1101 from Subsystem 101

[snipped story of possible bad disk drive...]

>Can you boot up by doing:
>
>   1) power off ldev 3;
>   2) bootup

Not if LDEV 3 is in the MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET.....right?
You can maybe boot from tape at this point in order to run some utilities from
a Support tape....

>> - Any existing database should not be effected because it would have
>> been on one of the old drives. (Dynamic expansion is off.)
>
>probably true.  There's some chance that the image control file ("GB")
>was allocated on that drive when you opened the database after adding the
>drive ... but I don't know what the unavailability of that file would
>do at recovery time.
>
>> -  Any existing file that was not changed should not be effected
>> because it would have been on one of the old drives.
>
>true.
>
>> -  Any file that was changed, but not in such a way that a new
>> extent was required, will most likely not be effected since it would
>> have been on one of the old drives.
>
>true
>
>> -  Any new file will most likely be effected since it likely went on
>> LDev 3.
>
>true...unless you used Lund's De-Frag/X or Bradmark's product to balance the
>drives.  (I guess that's a partial plug :)
>
>> -  Any file that was changed such that a new extent was required will
>> most likely be effected since it likely created the new extent on
>> LDev 3.
>
>true, unless the file was marked as "ldev 1 only" (or similar allocation
>restriction).
>

>> If I can identify the effected files somehow, I can restore them from
>> this morning's tape, and just have lost today's updates on those
>> files.  But how do I know what ones I have to restore?  If I have to
>> restore the entire system from this morning's tape, I'll loose _all_
>> of today's updates.  Or is there some way around this that I'm not
>> seeing?

You didn't explicitly state otherwise, so I am going to assume that Ldev 3 is
in the MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET. If that is true, is it not also true that if
you cannot get that drive back online you will have to perform an
INSTALL since you won't be able to fully mount the MPEXL... volume set?
Which of course means doing a full RESTORE?

This has never happened to me (fortunately!) so I am not *positive* you are in
as dire straits as I am suspecting.