HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 4

From:
David Largent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Largent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 22:56:26 -0500
Greetings from a grumpy system manager.

Earlier this evening, our 922LX (MPE/ix 4.0 - yeah, I know I'm
behind, but I didn't have enough free space to upgrade until now)
experienced the following...  :-(

  System Abort 1101 from Subsystem 101
  Secondary Status:  info=-44, subsys=113
  System Halt 7, $044D

In the process of trying to take a dump for HP, it experienced
another...   :-(   :-(
  ...LDev 1...
  ...LDev 2...
  1 megabytes of transient objects will be dumped for this device
  System Abort 0 from Subsystem 460
  Secondary Status:  info=5, subsys=111
  System Halt 7, $000

This one is reproducible - Just for grins, I tried to take another
dump, and experienced the same.  At this point, I called the HPRC.
They feel it is a bad disk drive.   :-(   :-(   :-(   :-(  Which is a
distinct possibility.

We just had HP install a remarketed drive in the 922LX on Tuesday
morning.  It was configured as LDev 3. When it was being installed,
HP had a bit of a problem getting the system to acknowledge that the
drive was there.  He ultimately reseated the card and cables, and
then everything was fine.  Or so it seemed!  I finished the
configuration and started using the drive.  Everyone was happy.
Until this evening.

HP is supposed to arrive in the morning to check/replace the drive.
That will presumably resolve the problem.  One problem though... The
data that was stored on LDev 3!  Is there any way to
identify/retrieve any of that data?  (DiscUtil doesn't recognize the
drive, so it was no help - unless the HPRC didn't know what he was
doing.)

Fortunately, we just did a full backup this morning.  Unfortunately,
we used the system today.  When we installed the additional drive, I
did _not_ restore any files.  I simply configured the new drive and
off we went.  My plan was to restore the files over some weekend and
thus even out the disk usage then.  For the time being, we'd simply
have "all" the free space on LDev 3.

Given this scenario, are the following statements likely true?

- Any existing database should not be effected because it would have
been on one of the old drives. (Dynamic expansion is off.)

-  Any existing file that was not changed should not be effected
because it would have been on one of the old drives.

-  Any file that was changed, but not in such a way that a new
extent was required, will most likely not be effected since it would
have been on one of the old drives.

-  Any new file will most likely be effected since it likely went on
LDev 3.

-  Any file that was changed such that a new extent was required will
most likely be effected since it likely created the new extent on
LDev 3.

Are there other conditions I've missed?

If I can identify the effected files somehow, I can restore them from
this morning's tape, and just have lost today's updates on those
files.  But how do I know what ones I have to restore?  If I have to
restore the entire system from this morning's tape, I'll loose _all_
of today's updates.  Or is there some way around this that I'm not
seeing?

I'd be most appreciative of any help any of you can offer.  Please
respond to me directly (and quickly!), as I am in digest mode for the
list.  Sorry for rambling on so long, but I feel better now - sort of...

-dll
David L. Largent                     "My thoughts are my own,
Information Services Manager          unless I choose to share them!"
The Gilbert Companies, Inc.          Phone: 317/284-4461
P.O. Box 1032                        Facs:  317/288-2079
Muncie, Indiana  47308-1032          Email: [log in to unmask]