HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 4

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 12:05:17 -0800
My MPE port of the Apache (www.apache.org) web server is now ready for public
beta testing.  Apache is the most popular web server on the net, and now it's
available for free for your HP 3000.

From the README file:

Apache/iX - First public MPE beta - January 23, 1997

This is the first public beta of the MPE port of the Apache 1.2b4 web server.
Once testing has been completed, the necessary MPE diffs will be sent to the
official Apache maintainers at http://www.apache.org for incorporation into
the next official Apache release.

This port was done on an HP 3000/969KS200 running MPE/iX 5.5 and the gcc
compiler obtained from:

        http://jazz.external.hp.com/src/gnu/gnu_tools/gnutools.html

Use this port at your own risk.  If your machine is reduced to a smoldering
silicon slag heap which then collapses into a singularity and causes a
massive tear in the space/time continuum, well, I warned you!

How to obtain and install
-------------------------

1) Create the APACHE account:

        :HELLO MANAGER.SYS
        :NEWACCT APACHE,MGR;CAP=ND,SF,IA,BA,PH,PM;PASS=somethingsecure

2) Download and unpack the distribution:

        :HELLO MGR.APACHE
        :FTP.ARPA.SYS
                open ftp.cccd.edu
                        anonymous
                bytestream
                get /pub/mpe/apache_1.2b4_mpe.tar.Z /tmp/apache.tar.Z
                exit
        :TAR.HPBIN.SYS '-xvfopz /tmp/apache.tar.Z'

3) The files unpacked are:

HTTPD   - precompiled web server binary
JHTTPD  - :STREAM this job to run the binary
README  - you're reading it now
apache_1.2b4_mpe/       - the official Apache source tree
        cgi-bin/        - some sample CGI programs
        conf/           - the runtime configuration files
        logs/           - the runtime log files
        src/            - the source code
public_html/            - demo for http://yourhost/~MGR.APACHE/

How to compile
--------------

You may skip this section if you lack a C compiler.

1) cd apache_1.2b4_mpe/src

2) read the INSTALL file for the official instructions

3) edit Configuration

4) run ./Configure

5) make

6) cp httpd /APACHE/PUB/HTTPD

How to run
----------

1) :STREAM JHTTPD to start it

2) ABORTJOB or kill `cat logs/pid` to stop it

How to test
-----------

1) Point a browser at http://your.host/

2) Point a browser at http://your.host/~MGR.APACHE/

ISSUES TO BE AWARE OF
---------------------

Apache requires PM capability in order to bind to TCP ports less than 1024
(the standard http port is 80).  This is the only use of PM;  if you want to
test Apache on a port greater then or equal to 1024, you can remove PM from
the binary.

Mod_usertrack is not ported yet.  It uses a function call which doesn't
exist on MPE.  I need to look into this code further to determine which
workaround I want to take.

User homepages are supported, and the USER.ACCOUNT *must* be in uppercase.
I.e. a URL of http://your.host/~USER.ACCOUNT/foo.html says to Apache, "Look in
the home group for USER.ACCOUNT.  Look for the public_html subdirectory
which contains the file foo.html".

CGI appears to work.  I've only tested it with sh and perl scripts.  Note
that "linger" errors will show up in the error log when CGIs are run.  I
don't know what causes this.  I had to comment out code that does setsockopt
SO_LINGER; this is documented to be available under MPE, but yet it didn't
work.  I expect that CGI *scripts* won't work with MPE 5.0 because you can't
exec() scripts until 5.5.

The HP inetd that comes with 5.5 is broken.  I've opened a Response Center
call.  Don't try to run Apache under inetd.

I only have access to gcc.  I need somebody to try to compile Apache with HP
cc.

I haven't played with any of the Apache support programs yet.

How to contact me
-----------------

Mark Bixby
Coast Community College District
District Information Services
1370 Adams Avenue
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

voice: +1 714 438-4647
email: [log in to unmask]
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/