HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 3

From:
Greg Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 09:19:12 +1000
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for software that will allow printing a form (logo, bold
> heading,etc.) with data on LaserJet IIISi and 4Si.  I have looked at packages
> that create the form on a PC then upload to the 3K and create an
> "environment" file that merges with the data at print time.  These are
> overkill for what we want to do and the cost is prohibitive.  Our budget is
> $3k-$5k.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> TIA
> Pat Nash

Pat,

A cheap, but not necessarily simple, way would be to use a mail-merge
process with a PC word processor.  You would create the "form" in the
word-processor, with all your fill-in fields to be populated with
data from the data-file from the HP - refer to the documentation for
the word-processor package for mail-merges.  Next, create the
datafile on the HP, transfer it to your PC and run the word-processor
mail-merge process.

The file-transfer & mail-merge processes could be done manually or
possibly automatically - if you have Reflection for Windows or
similar, you could set it up to transfer the file and then use DDE to
run the word-processor's mail-merge.  I haven't tried it, and it
could be tricky, but it would be fairly cheap.  The main caveat is
that it would only be suitable for small volumes.

Good luck.

Greg Chaplin
UniSuper
Level 28, 367 Collins St,      Email: [log in to unmask]
Melbourne 3000,                Phone: +61 3 9648 4145
Australia.                     Fax:   +61 3 9648 4141
(Any opinions expressed here are not necessarily my employer's)