HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 10:26:12 -0500
FHarasleben wrote:
> Thanks again for your help with NETWARE/iX. It works. (HP VIENNA now
> also gave me that info).

Great!  You might also want to look into the patch that Goetz mentioned
(and I was unaware of).

> By that way. I encountered another mysterious phenomena. I have two
> HP3000 (947 and 918). On both we are running the ARPA Listener. When I
> start it on the HP947 - after about 5-10 secs. - the listener tells me
> that it has been launched successfully. Doing the same on the HP918
> lasts 3-5 minutes. As far as I know, nothing has been
> changed with respect to IP-configuration.

By any chance, is the 918 on 5.5 and the 947 on 5.0?  There is some
strangeness on 5.5 when you initially invoke certain posix things.  On
both releases posix generally starts up Streams/iX (strange console
status messages result) which takes some time (but not 3-5 minutes).
But also on 5.5, the OpenMarket web server takes forever (3-5 minutes)
to invoke the first cgi-bin script.  Neither streams nor fork() is at
play (directly) since the OMI server has already spawned it's server
pool at that point.  This was *not* a problem on 5.0 (although the
server did take some time to startup initially - which isn't a problem
on 5.5).

Afraid I have no easy answers to that one, but it could be another
manifestation of the same phenomenon.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>