HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 20:22:42 -0500
Stan Sieler wrote:
> Gary writes:
> [Re: HPSL searches]
> > When I search the support database with my options set to "MPE/iX"
> > (I.e, I have NOT selected any HP-UX) options, I still get flooded
> > with hits for HP-UX systems.  Does anybody else have this problem?
>
> Not everyone...the HP-UX users don't mind getting HP-UX hits :)

And I doubt they get many MPE hits looking for UX info (?)...

> But, everyone else gets them...despite numerous pleas (at least on
> my part) for several *YEARS* to fix the problem.

I have similarly lobbied for *years* to get the service, given the
inadequate performance/capabilities of SupportLine via modem/telnet.
With respect to those efforts and their response, I'm a bit hesitant to
bash them over the head for the quirks at this early stage of the game.
It would "appear" that the new service could be at least as
discriminating as the old one, I must concur.

> OTOH, that's why I'm trying to rally support for users to "talk" to
> HP about HPSL ... SIGSoftVend and IPROF are right around the corner!

Check your management roundtable transcripts :-)  I think we've even
been in the same microphone queue to comment/question on this very case,
Stan.  I also did the "one-on-one" interview/survey deal with WCSO folks
in Toronto in '95 and emphasized the need for a direct channel to HPRC
engineers (not a telephone "agent", and not the character-dropping
cut-and-paste foolishness with SupportLine telnet) foremost, and timely
database updates for the search capabilities second.  They have
addressed both (a web interface, and if you weed out the HP-UX stuff in
the searches, there are actually some reasonably current SRs in there,
along with downloadable patches).

So contrary to my traditional behavior <grin> I must salute HP for their
efforts in the online support arena.  Given the considerable additional
capabilities, I'm far from out of patience in this arena (yet).  If I'm
getting 90% HP-UX hits and 10% MPE/iX hits when IPROF rolls around, I
may change sides; but for now, I still see progress, despite the bugs.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>