HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 3

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 18:42:00 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> Harry Weide asks wrt the POSIX Developer's Kit:
>
> >Can someone shed some light on this Developer's Kit for me? Where
> >can I get it? Does it co$t money?
>
> Kriss Rant - are you lurking? :-)
>
> The POSIX Developer's Kit is a series of includes, libraries and
> documentation for those wishing to develop POSIX applications on the
> 3000. As of MPEiX 5.5, it is bundled (thanks to Kriss). Prior to that it
> used to be a for cost product where you would get a credit against its
> cost if you owned the HP/C compiler or Micro Focus Cobol.

Actually, if you owned the C/iX compiler, you could "upgrade/swap" for the
Posix developers kit. It was a no-(PURCHASE PRICE)-cost item... It DID
however (and still does last I checked) cost you an additional software
item on your software maintenance contract (i.e. you get charged support for
both C/iX *AND* Posix Developers Kit).

This double-charge was supposed to be eliminated with 5.5, but when I tried
to get it removed off our contract, none of the s/w contract people knew
anything about it (or nothing about the fact that the dup charge was supposed
to go away).

                       Good Luck,
                        Chris Bartram