HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 17:36:55 -0500
Jeanette and Ken Nutsford wrote:

> The $set shows PATH="/bin:/SYS/PUB:"

That is correct.

> :FINDDIR bin displays
> /usr/local/bin/
> /usr/local/hppa1.0_hp_mpeix/bin/
> /usr/local/lib/hppa1.0_hp_mpeix/bin/

That is unusual, it should have found /bin first.  The other 3
entries come with the GNU goodies.

> :FINDIR etc displays
> No file matches the fileset
> Makes it difficult to read /etc/profile when it doesn't exist!
>
> :RUN ls.hpbin "-l /SYS/BIN" displays
> all the files as having an 'x' in the last permission bit
>
> Where do we go from here?

You are "missing" /etc and /bin (at least).  As MANAGER.SYS in
the shell you should be able to ":ls.hpbin.sys '-ld /bin'" and
see the directories (unless you have somehow deleted them?) by
repeating the above command for /etc.  Here is a listing from
my system (this uses the shell's wildcard expansion, so this
will not work for you; but you can compare permission bits):

shell/iX> ls -ld /[a-z]*
drwxr-xr-x   2 MANAGER.SYS       0          14624 Nov  1 16:31 /bin
drwx------   2 MANAGER.SYS       0            608 Jul 20  1996 /dev
dr-xr-xr-x   2 MANAGER.SYS       0           3200 Nov  1 16:31 /etc
dr-xr-xr-x   3 MANAGER.SYS       0           1472 Dec  9  1995
/hpshell-examples
dr-xr-xr-x   2 MANAGER.SYS       0           1088 Nov  1 16:31 /lib
drwxrwxrwx   2 MANAGER.SYS       0           2912 Jan 20 17:01 /tmp
drwxrwxr-x  10 MANAGER.SYS       0            992 Apr 28  1996 /usr
drwxr-xr-x   3 MANAGER.SYS       0            320 Dec  9  1995 /var

The "/dev" directory may not exist on your system, I believe I created
it;
but I suspect your "missing" directories may have similar permissions as
my /dev directory above which have no permissions for the "other/world"
bits.
In this case, only manager.sys can "see" the directory.  You need 'r'
and
'x' access in the last 3 bits (:chmod.hpbin "o=rx /bin").  'r' allows
you
to read files in the directory (file permissions permitting), and 'x'
allows
you to read the directory itself (without 'x', you get no 'ls' output).
This
may not make much sense, but is often used in FTP transfers for
'private'
transfers where you can 'get' a file from a directory if you know it's
name,
but you can't list the actual contents of the directory.

If these directories do *not* exist, either you have inadvertantly
deleted the
directories, or the installation job which moves HFS files into these
specific
directories failed.  You *may* be able to recover them from the FOS; I
believe
they are stored in a 'tar' archive in some MPE-file (refer back to the
posting
about changing permissions on the posix files using the shell script; I
recall
it was doing a directory listing of the files to disk to use as input to
chmod command.  You could actually extract the files (tar -xvf filename)
rather
than list the directory (tar -cvf filename) like the example given.  In
your
case, until we "tear down your wall" you'll have to :tar "-xvf filename"

Hope this is of some help.  I can certainly understand your confusion,
given
that you have no /etc, no /bin, and no working shell!

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>