HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 3

From:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 16:35:20 -0500
Thus it was written in the epistle of [log in to unmask],

> Jeff Kell wrote:
> > >
> > > Didn't Compaq offer what was termed the first really 'portable'
> > > PC...which I believe was nicknamed 'luggable' because of its size and
> > > weight... :-)
> >
> > > Yes, Compaq's original "portable" computer was called "luggable", but
> > > only by those who had to carry one, not by Compaq itself :-)
> >
> > Aren't we forgetting the Kaypro?  If anyone from Southern College is
> > still on the list (Ted? John?) I'm sure they can provide the
> > particulars, but that's the first "portable" PC I ever saw (CP/M).
> >
> > Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
> >

> We had a Karypro around here, too, but I haven't seen it in a long time. I
> think it had a Z80 chip, but I could well be wrong.  We got it along with a
> bunch of HP120s and HP125s (some of which we still have in some storeroom
> somewhere) back in 1982 or 3.
>
> Richard Gambrell (e-mail: [log in to unmask])
> Associate Director
> Information Technology Center
> Xavier University of Louisiana
> New Orleans, LA

We have (and still use!) Kaypros.  I have yet to see a terminal emulator as
dependable and few that can rival its speed.  We wrote the emulator inhouse in
assembly and Kaypros were the terminals of choice for quite some time.  These
days we're down to 1 in Accounting and 1 which gets used during
pre-registration (oh, yes, and those under the table legs to get the tables up
to right height so that students can stand and fill out forms at them).  They
do use the Z80 as I remember and CP/M.  Off-campus, there is at least one still
in use.  My mom learned to do her wordprocessing on one and has no desire to
switch to anything else -- hey, if it works . . . :-).

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]) | From the Tom Swifty collection:
Southern Adventist University    | "This Neanderthal needs something to eat",