HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 3

Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 09:37:00 PST
We use the following command file to invoke the shell.  It's based on
the original MPE/iX 4.5 UDCs, so it may be a little out-of-date with
what's distributed with MPE/iX 5.0 and 5.5.

The critical part about this command file is that it allows the user to
specify the priority of the shell.  We find that if some programmer
(who shall go nameless, but who might be the author of this message :-)
is allowed to do large compiles or probably even a:

      find / -name xxx

as Jeff suggests in the shell running at CS priority, the performance
of a busy machine for other users may be drastically affected.  I
always invoke this script as:

     shell ds

We don't call this script "sh", because "sh" conflicts with Qedit's
"shut" command.  To invoke a script called "sh" from inside Qedit, I
would have to remember to prefix it with a colon.  Since I don't like
doing that, we just use a longer name that doesn't conflict with Qedit
(and which I think is more descriptive anyway).

Cheers,

David <[log in to unmask]>

---------------------------- cut here -----------------------------

parm shellpri="cs"
comment SHELL.CMD - Command file derived from HP's HPPXUDC file
comment
comment This invokes the POSIX .2 shell with the -L option.  -L causes
comment the shell to read the environment initialization files.  The MPE/iX
comment shell requires the user to have a home group.  It also assumes the
comment user's Current Working Directory (CWD) is the user's home group.
comment
comment Save the current CWD.
setvar _sh_cwd hpcwd
comment
setjcw CIERROR,0
continue
chdir /!hpaccount/!hpjobname > $null
if CIERROR=935 then
   chdir /!hpaccount/!hphgroup
endif
continue
comment xeq sh.hpbin.sys -L
run sh.hpbin.sys;info="-L";pri=!shellpri
chdir !_sh_cwd
deletevar _sh_cwd