HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 1

Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 15:35:56 -0500
In a message dated 97-01-06 11:48:47 EST, [log in to unmask] (Al
Ankers) writes:

<< I bought the HYPE!! Run Windows NT. Well it came with 3.51 so I installed
it and
 lo and behold I can't get it to print to my network connected HP Laserjet
4Si
 w/Jetdirect, so I called HP. Guess what! They know about the problem! Not to
get
 too technical, but under NT or Windows/95 any Netware queued printer gets
messed
 up. In other words it doesn't work! In addition it only takes one PC to
screwup
 everybody! To recover you have to remove the PC from the network or change
the
 operating system, which is what I did, purge the old queue and using Netware
and
 re-build it.

 HP solution: DO NOT INSTALL 5.5

 My Solution: DO NOT ALLOW Windows/95 or Windows/NT PCs to connect to the
 network.>>

The ultimate solution: Get rid of Netware on your HP 3000.  I have an HP 3000
and Windows NT and Windows 95 (no Windows 3.X, they were upgraded long time
ago, thank God!)  and no problems.

I have customers with Windows NT/95 networks and Jet Direct cards, works
fine, lasts a long time.  (Again, Windows 3.x were also upgraded long time
ago, thank God again.)  JetAdmin is a bit of a bear, well. . . actually a lot
of a bear, but once you get it running right, it just keeps on working.

<<For me that has been easy, since I have never allowed Windows/95 to be
installed
 on any corporate PC. Nevertheless I am sure there are installations where
 politics over-ruled wisdom and 32-bit operating systems exist on HP
Networks. >>

Is this decision for job security reasons? :-)  I like pain and a challenge
as much as the next guy, but Windows 3.x was just too much challenging pain.
 Seriously, I have networked several hundred Windows 95 PCs over the last
year and a half.  It works much better than Windows 3.x.  Just make sure you
get the service pack and the 3 other fixes at the Mickey$oft web site.  For
Windows NT, remember there are two service packs available for it.  I suggest
you slap on SP1 and consider SP2.  read the literature which accompanies it.
 If you have other questions, you can e-mail me directly at [log in to unmask] or

Lastly, you may want to visit www.hicomp.com/hicomp/Win95TnT.htm, you may
find some useful info.  I am working on updating the page to include NT.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .