HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 1

From:
Al Ankers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al Ankers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 11:42:34 EST
I submit this for all to read in hopes that others may be helped.

Short system synopsis: HP3000/947 running avg.25 sessions and 4 jobs,
HP3000/Novell 3.11 on HP3K with 50+ PCs on Openview network 802.3 with Jetdirect
connected printers. ISDN used to connect remote DTC and 3 Hubs. All PCs use
Windows for workgroup 3.11 and access the HP3K via MS92 or Reflection 1.

Situation: Purchased HP Vectra PC XU 6/150 w/Windows NT 4.0

I bought the HYPE!! Run Windows NT. Well it came with 3.51 so I installed it and
lo and behold I can't get it to print to my network connected HP Laserjet 4Si
w/Jetdirect, so I called HP. Guess what! They know about the problem! Not to get
too technical, but under NT or Windows/95 any Netware queued printer gets messed
up. In other words it doesn't work! In addition it only takes one PC to screwup
everybody! To recover you have to remove the PC from the network or change the
operating system, which is what I did, purge the old queue and using Netware and
re-build it.

HP solution: DO NOT INSTALL 5.5

My Solution: DO NOT ALLOW Windows/95 or Windows/NT PCs to connect to the
network.

For me that has been easy, since I have never allowed Windows/95 to be installed
on any corporate PC. Nevertheless I am sure there are installations where
politics over-ruled wisdom and 32-bit operating systems exist on HP Networks. At
the time I talked to the HP Response center (Dec '96)  there was no immediate
fix or knowledge of when one might be available. Since I have used the shared
printer approach on my network this fix is essential in implementing any new
32-bit strategy.

Of course since I am developing new systems with Powerbuilder, a 32-bit
operating system would be a SUPER Plus and Intersolv has a 32-bit Allbase ODBC
driver, so I wouldn't have to wait for the HP ODBC 32-bit version. BUT I CAN'T
PRINT! So who cares?

Al Ankers
Data Processing Manager
Southeastern Public Service Authority of Virginia
PO Box 1346
Chesapeake, Virginia 23327-1346
(757) 399-8924
(757) 397-7678