HP3000-L Archives

December 1996, Week 4

From:
Gary Dietz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Dietz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 08:55:29 -0800
Mark.  Funny you should mention this.  HP has been working on a similar
problem with my 968 (running MPE/iX 5.0) for months (no, that's not a typo,
it really has been "months") now, to no avail.  Monday I spent the entire
afternoon with some HP engineers trying various solutions, to no avail.
Well, I guess I shouldn't say that.  I think we're at least making some
progress.  Trying to type all the things we've tried over the last few
months would give me finger cramps, so I'll skip the gory details.  If
you're interested give me a call (509-527-5415) and we can talk about it.

At any rate, we finally discovered something interesting.  If I go into
NMMGR, into DTS, and add a new dummy device class, exit WITHOUT validating,
and then re-boot my system, the 968 and the UPS communicate just fine!
However, my DTC's won't download. They complain that a change was made in
NMMGR without a validation being done and they refuse to load.  If I then
go into NMMGR, validate, and then re-boot the 968, the DTCs download just
fine, but the 968 and the UPS no longer communicate!  So, for now I'm stuck
with the choice of having working DTCs or having the 968 and the UPS
communicate.

I had voice mail from the escalation center this morning saying that they
have some new things they want to try, so I'll give them a call and see
what they have in mind now.   I'll be sure to post the results if/when they
ever solve the problem.  In the meantime, if you come across a solution I'd
certainly like to hear about it!

Gary Dietz
Whitman College
(509) 527-5415

>>> Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]> 12/20/96 09:04pm >>>
The UPS Install From Hell here has stalled at a point where my 969 running
5.5 is unable to talk to the HP UPS through the UPS port on the MFIO card.

Both my HP CE and VAR CE say this is happening to a large number of
machines.
UPSUTIL.MPEXL.TELESUP reports "down/broken", and UPS event system logging
reports read timeouts on the UPS port.

Is anybody else out there experiencing this problem, or perhaps more
importantly, are there any 969 owners out there successfully communicating
with
your UPS?
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/