HP3000-L Archives

December 1996, Week 2

Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 1996 10:09:22 -0500
In a message dated 96-12-07 23:18:48 EST, [log in to unmask] (Shawn Boyette)
writes:

<<
 First, a bit of background to give you a frame of reference:
 I am a programmer with 1 year of real-world experience. At work
 we run IBM System/390 machines running MVS 5.1.  At home, i have
 a home-built PC running Linux 2.0.26 and. . .(deep breath)...

 I just 'inheirited' a Hewlett-Packard 7912 with a HP250 peripheral
 interface channel and 3 dummy terminals.

 I have no information on this machine except for the following:
     (1) It was purchased in 1984 for $80,000
     (2) It is 2 pieces, each 4x4x2.5 feet LxWxH.

 Can somebody PLEASE tell me ANYTHING about this machine!?

 Thanks, Everybody.

That is a blast from the past.  Let me see, the HP 7912 is a non-removable
132 MB disk drive, with perhaps an integrated QIC tape drive.  I am not sure
if that is for the S model, and I am not sure if it is indeed a 132 MB drive,
it could be smaller.

As for the HP 250, I remember the model number as a small computer running
BASIC, it was later replaced by the HP 260.  I have no recollection of what
happened to that series, I think it died out.  I do remember that the HP 250
was in the form of a desk and the console was somewhat special with function
key buttons on the bezel underneath the screen.

I think a form of IMAGE, IMAGE/250 was available on the system.  The BASIC on
the box was very interesting.  HP also created the  HP 300, AMIGO with its
own brand of BASIC but it was not compatible with the HP 250.  The HP 300
died out pretty quickly with the advent of the HP 3000 series 30/33.

I know a few people who worked extensively on the HP 250, but I do not think
they are on this list.  If need be, I could try to contact one of them.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .