HP3000-L Archives

December 1996, Week 2

From:
Joe Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 10:14:46 -0800
Steve Patterson wrote:

> Morning Folks:
>
> We have an aging 2934A departmental dot matrix printer serially connected to
> the HP via a DTC-48.  This dinosaur provides unlimited frustration for
> everyone that uses it.  The darn thing jams every second job and we've tried
> everything (short of paying for a hardware call) to correct this problem.

Steve,

Just a comment on your dinosaur.  Keeping this printer in proper
working condition DOES in fact mean the occaisional service call.

Given it is in proper condition, this is still one of the best
workhorse printers HP ever made. I have clients in extremely
dirty factory conditions (paper mills, oil companies, cloth
factories covered with lint, etc) who have used these for 10
years in conditions which would bring most printers to their
knees in a heartbeat.  That is why this was called a FACTORY
DATA PRINTER in the original sales brochures.

RE: your situation, if it is truly an occasional use printer and
you don't want to go to the expense of a status i/f card, most
ANY dumb serial printer will work as a term type 18.
You just may have to re run
the occaisional job or report in the event of a paper jam.  I
have several old old okidata 320's running on DTC's with no
problem.  The users know if a jamb occurs, they have to restart
the spooler, and sometimes rerun the report.  Cheap solution.
I still love my 293x's though.

Hope this helps

--
 Joe Howell, HIS COmpany                       904-678-3238
 PO Box 73                                     904-678-7378