HP3000-L Archives

December 1996, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:13:17 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Is there anyway to change the default record width of the file that
> is returned from a cgi call?  Right now, even if I am sending back
> 132 characters, I only get 80 columns.

Since I haven't seen an answer yet I'll take a shot.  First, elaborate
on "the file that is returned from a cgi call" - there is no file unless
your script generates one in-line; I presume you're referring to the
output line length the cgi program can write back.  I would infer you
are executing an MPE-domain program (non-Posix C/gcc) which is writing
to $stdlist?  That is likely the problem.  In the Posix domain, the cgi
process can tightly bind the program's STDOUT to the web browser socket
requesting the cgi execution; there is a real "streams" binding here in
a bytestream sense.  $STDIN/$STDLIST don't bind that well (other than
with system emulation) and the 80-byte limit could be a side effect.

> (maybe there is a trick in perl to set this size since I am using
> perl's 'system' command to call a MPE program)

Not perl's fault, but perhaps Posix; if invoking via a system() command
you might try convoluting that to system(callci "xeq pgmname") or
something similar.  "callci" tends to bind MPE domain things to Posix
better than a raw invocation (but this adds significant overhead).

I posted some information along these lines to Kriss Rant on a related
topic offline; I can forward that if you like (it is in my mail folder
at work, not here).  It outlined some of the "missing pieces" that I
referred to above.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>