HP3000-L Archives

December 1996, Week 2

From:
ROGER SMITH <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ROGER SMITH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 1996 15:11:00 PST
Bob wrote

>  I've been asked to come up with a way to store data collected by PCs on
>our factory floor, and offer it for retrieval back to the same PCs or other
> desktop units connected to the network.  ... <snip>

Bob,
We are doing this two ways at the present time.  In our former system, we
have a PC that connects to the 3000 and runs a FORTRAN program that
transfers the data using Reflection and them processes the data into a Image
database.  As soon as we get PC file on a NT server, we will modify the
Fortran program to use FTP.  We hope that by replacing the PC using
Reflections we will eliminate a problem area.

All of the above is being replaced by a new system using an Oracle database.
 We still transfer data between the 9000 and 3000 to prevent having to
rewrite all of the reports.  The transfer between these two machines are by
flat files and FTP.  There have been few problems.  The 3000 will go away as
we develop new reports and implement a new ERP system.

Feel free to contact me off-line.

roger          [log in to unmask]   or