HP3000-L Archives

December 1996, Week 1

From:
Glenn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 1996 08:27:21 -0800
There is an article in the 5.5 Communicator describing how the
file's modification date/time stamp is now updated (with a couple
exceptions, described below) only when an actual write is posted
to the file, and not with the act of opening a file with write access.

The exception to this is:

>  The modification date for mapped files and compatibility mode files
>  are not affected by this change. The modification date in the file
>  label is always updated when these files are opened for write access.

"Mapped files" really refers to mapped file ACCESS, right?
I mean there's no such thing as a file TYPE of "mapped." (Is there?)

"Compatibility mode files" could mean CM-KSAM specifically but, with
the previous reference to "mapped files," probably means any file type
currently implemented in CM.

Message files are now NM, aren't they? So does this leave just
circular, RIO, and CM-KSAM files?

TIA for the clarification!

--Glenn Cole
  Software al dente, Inc.