HP3000-L Archives

December 1996, Week 1

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 16:38:24 -0500
I suppose that by now I should be inured to HP continuing ability to do
things by halves.  I have gone to the MPE/iX patch centre on the www.
Of course the http reference given is wrong:

http://us.external.hp.com

when in reality it has to be

http://us.external.hp.com:80/

to work, but on to the good stuff.

After locating the search engine I find that it is hard coded to return
only C.50.00 patch information.  How droll.  Next I get to the online
MPEiX_patch digest.  Of course they only have this past week's digest
available and no information on how to get previous editions.  So I go
to the subscription screen and subscribe to MPEiX_patch figuring, OK,
they have to have a mailing list server, I'll subscribe and get the
digests that way.

Sigh.  Not only does the subscription confirmation not tell you where
the mailing list is hosted, none of the standard mailing list addresses
that are used to get further information work.  One can only presume
that past digests are either not available or are not available to the
general public.

And today in my mail was my request form for powerpatch 1 express.  How
timely.  It is a good thing that I didn't put 5.5 up in August when it
first arrived.  I don't think that my blood pressure could take it.

Purely in a sarcastic manner; does HP have people hired just to figure
out the most irritating way of frustrating their clients?

Regards,
Jim
--
James B. Byrne                  mailto:[log in to unmask]
Harte & Lyne Limited            http://www.harte-lyne.ca