HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 5

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 1996 21:50:05 -0500
Let me group several topics into one post since I've been a bit noisy
with the administrivia recently.

(1) Some people tried the 'set hp3000-l subjecthdr' option and decided
they didn't want it and asked how to turn it off.  As with other of the
user preferences on the "set" command, prefix with "no" to turn it off,
e.g., "set hp3000-L nosubjecthdr".

(2) Some questions/complaints apparently unrelated that I've received
over time (without clear answers) recently clicked when I read a posting
on a listowner's mailing list.  Some people have complained about
messages arriving as "embedded attachments", or having text appear as
strangely quoted (prefixed with "> "), and other similar things.  Here's
a new "discovery" regarding Microsoft's Exchange:

> This is a problem in the Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Connector.
> I don't remember the exact name of the parameter, but its purpose is
> to put a > in front of lines of text that are quoted in a reply or are
> forwarded.  The problem is that Exchange does not show you the > as you
> are composing the message.  Instead it shows the quoted text in a
> different color.  It's very awkward to get it not to quote.  Try
> cutting and pasting [...]

(3) General reminders about mail (while I'm on the subject):

* Use a fixed font when composing messages, limit line lengths to ~72
  bytes (no more than 80),
* Don't use Rich Text Format (RTF) in MS/Mail and related mail
readers,    nor allow 8-bit characters (a.k.a. Printed-Quotable).
MS/Mail is the
  worst as it will add a Base64 Encoded WINMAIL.DAT attachment to your
  message if RTF is enabled.
* Don't include the "entire" original message when replying, but at the
  same time include "some" reference to the original text.

(4) Listserv options you can set - send mail to <[log in to unmask]>
with text "set hp3000-L option" where the "option" can one of the
following (toggled options are "option"/"nooption", while multiple
choice ones are grouped together):

   NOACK - do no acknowledge receipt of your postings [default],
   ACK   - send acknowledgement of your posting

   NOREPRO - don't send a copy of your posting back to you [default],
   REPRO - do send a copy of your own postings

   SHORTHDR - minimize message content of messages sent to you,
   FULLHDR - include all message headers,
   IETF - format headers according to IETF list standards (not RFC)
   DUALHDR - copy essential header information into the text of the
             message; useful if your mailer "hides" origin addresses
             so that you can't see e-mail address of the sender.
(I *think* our beta version has a MIME option as well; not sure if this
is a subset or an alias for FULLHDR.  I haven't played with it and have
not seen documentation on it).

   NOMAIL - suspend mailing but leave you on the list w/options intact,
   MAIL - send mail to you as it is posted (individual msgs) [default]
   [NO]DIGEST - [don't] send posts in digest format once daily
   [NO]INDEX - [don't] send only an index of postings daily

   [NO]SUBJECTHDR - [don't] include "[HP3000-L]" as a Subject: prefix

To query your current settings, use the command "query hp3000-L"

(5) You may receive "bounce" messages when you post to the list.  Unless
the "bounce" came from utc.edu, your message was successfully posted.
The bounce you are seeing is likely for a list subscriber with a non-RFC
compliant mailer which is sending delivery errors erroneously to you.

(6) If you find yourself in "digest" mode without asking for it, it is
because I have received numerous bounce messages from your host.  I try
to be very liberal in my tolerance for mail problems (and very
conservative in bouncing subscribers off the list); setting you to
digest mode when trouble starts keeps you on the list, minimizes
postings you miss, and minimizes my bounce traffic.  If digests continue
to bounce, I will then remove you from the list.  Listserv also monitors
mail bounce messages which conform to the RFC<something> error report
standard, and will bounce you automatically if bounces persist for 4
days, or 100 bounces are received, whichever comes first.  If you find
yourself "removed from the list" with no notice, feel free to
resubscribe; don't mistake this for an "aggression" against you.

(7) If you send commands to the list and it says you aren't subscribed,
yet you are receiving postings, your return address has probably changed
in some way.  If you can't "forge" a command from your old address, let
me know and I'll change your address on the list.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
HP3000-L List flunky