HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 5

Ron Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 1996 17:31:50 EDT
Sim Soon Huat asks:

> We am looking for ways to reduce some of our TurboIMAGE datasets
> capacity to free-up system disk space and was wondering if anyone
> has done it using ADAGER (Which is great when it comes to database
> expansion).

Actually, the ADAGER command 'change capacity' means just what it
says--it can either reduce OR increase the capacity.  But there
are a few things to keep in mind.

For detail datasets, there are three measures you need to be aware
of:  the current entry count, the highwater mark (the most entries
that have ever been in the dataset since last reorganisation), and
the maximum capacity.  You can reduce the capacity only to as low
as the highwater mark, with the 'change capacity' command.  If you
want to make it lower than that, then you need to 'repack' the
dataset (use the 'detpack' command).  This will ask you for a
target capacity (I usually just specify the %-full) and it will
quite happily and safely go and do just that.

HTH,
Ron Burnett