HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 4

From:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 13:12:36 EST
On Wed, 27 Nov 1996 10:50:09 -0500, Gregory R Olen <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

>I am connecting to an HP3000 via a Macintosh running Sessions.
>
>I am trying to run a Query program and am composing the program in the
>Editor.  I want to place tabs between each of the fields in the Query
>program so it can be easily exported to Excel.
>
>Why are the Tabs not exporting ?  Is there a special set of key strokes to
>insert a Tab into a line in the Editor program ?

When you say you are running a Query program, are you running QUERY.PUB.SYS
and executing a procedure?  Or are you writing your own query program?

If you are writing a Query procedure, I've always created a fixed-width
output file and downloaded it as a .TXT file which can also be imported
into Excel.  I don't know of any way of outputting a Tab character directly
from Query.

If you're writing your own program, you can insert tabs between the output
fields by using the ASCII code decimal value for Tab (which is 9, or octal
%11).  In COBOL, you would do this (please translate to whatever language
you are using):

05  FIELD1                     PIC X(20).
05  FILLER                     PIC X      VALUE %11.
05  FIELD2                     PIC X(20).

Hope this helps.

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: (330) 527-2124                   P. O. Box 285
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   Garrettsville, Ohio  44231