HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 4

From:
Gary Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 08:50:23 -0800
>Our sys admin boys (I like to call them syssies; they in turn like to
>abort my idle sessions. We are a fun-loving group.) are new to the 3K.
>We are going to discuss how to handle spool file cleanup; I should
>mention that they bought NSD JobTime & JobRescue, with which I am
>unfamiliar. I casually mentioned the idea of a self-scheduling job
>stream that deletes anything over, say, one week old; I should have
>thought before I shot off my mouth that this was on another platform...
>I am open to suggestions on any part of this problem: approaches to
>spool file cleanup, experience with the NSD line, learning to keep my
>mouth shut...

We use MPEX to append the spoolfiles to a flat file.  This file is stored on
our nightly backup and then renamed so that it hangs around online one day.
It has been real handy to be able to go to an old tape and find out what
went on in a job way back when.  The MPEX job is real slow though so if
anyone sees a way to speed it up I would love to hear about it.

First we have a command file that checks for $stdlists with errors and then
launches the job:

LISTSPF O@;SELEQ=[JOBABORT=TRUE]
SPOOLF O@;PRI=2;SELEQ=[JOBABORT=TRUE]
STREAMX SPSVV2ST.OPERATOR.SYS

Here is the job that appends the $stdlists:

!JOB SPOOLSV2,OPERATOR.SYS;INPRI=8;OUTCLASS=LP,1;PRI=DS
!RUN MPEX.PUB.VESOFT;PARM=1
!SETVAR VESOFTDEFAULTPRINT = 0
XEQ SPOOLSV.CI.SYS
!EOJ

And here is the command file referenced by the job stream (SPOOLSV.CI.SYS)

IF NOT FINFO("SPOOLHST.OPERATOR.SYS",0) THEN
BUILD SPOOLHST.OPERATOR.SYS;REC=-132,,F,ASCII;DISC=1000;CCTL
COMMENT RELEASE SPOOLHST.OPERATOR.SYS
ENDIF
FILE SPOOLHST=SPOOLHST.OPERATOR.SYS,OLD;ACC=APPEND
REPEAT
!ALTFILE SPOOLHST.OPERATOR.SYS;FLIMIT=EOF+100000>$NULL
PRINTO !MPEXCURRENTFILE;OUT=*SPOOLHST;NOFILEPAGEBREAK
DELETESPOOLFILE !MPEXCURRENTFILE
FORFILES [log in to unmask]@(SPOOL.ISREADY&SPOOL.OUTPRI=1):SPOOL
RESET SPOOLHST
!ALTFILE SPOOLHST.OPERATOR.SYS;SQUEEZE>$NULL

Feel free to contact me if you have questions
Gary Jackson
Nevada CSOS
(916) 478-6407 - voice
(916) 478-6410 - fax