HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 3

From:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:08:02 -0600
Hello Friends:

Greg Chaplin asked if anybody has heard anything good, bad or otherwise on
the new DDS-3 drives. There won't be any field reports for awhile, since
these units won't ship until December.

Cost of the new devices is more than twice their DDS-2 predecessors ($6,500
list US) but the cost per Gb has dropped from $699 to $542. For the extra
cost you get three times the transfer rate and twice the capacity per
cartridge of the DDS-2 units. HP says the newer devices are more reliable,
too.

We're running a full report on the improvements in tape in the December
NewsWire; a First Look is already out in our November FlashPaper. Sign up
for a trial subscription (if you haven't already, and you're in the US or
Canada) at our Web site and include a note if you want a copy of November,
or drop me e-mail.

Ron Seybold, Editor In Chief
The 3000 NewsWire
Independent Information to Maximize Your HP3000
http://www.3000newswire.com/newswire
512-331-0075