HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 3

From:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 15:39:29 EST
On Fri, 15 Nov 1996 11:33:12 -0800, Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

<He said/she said stuff snipped>

>If you are using user volumes (and why aren't you, if you aren't :) ) you
>would almost never configure at less than 100,100 since transient space is
>only actually used on the system volume set.  The only legitimate reason for
>configuring less than 100,100 is if you want to keep some disk space in
reserve.

>So, in summary I would rather spend a little time managing my disk
>environment than pay a 25% premium for each of my disk drives, which is what
>I would do if I didn't configure all of my space.
>
>Lastly,  it really does make sense to pursue user volumes, if you haven't
>already.

>Bill

Ok, I'll admit it.  I've never used user volumes.  I've only been on the
HP3000 for about 10 years.  I've heard about them, but I've never had them
explained to me in an elementary way that even the ignorant (that's me!)
can understand.  So, Bill, care to try and enlighten me? (I'm not being
facetious, this is an earnest plea for assistance).

1)  What exactly are user volumes?  Are they the same as Private Volumes?

2)  Why would I want to use them?

3)  How hard are they to set-up, and how hard are they to maintain?

4)  Can I use my normal STORE @[log in to unmask]@ on them?

5)  What do I get for my trouble?

Thanks for any assistance.

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: (330) 527-2124                   P. O. Box 285
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   Garrettsville, Ohio  44231