HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 16:02:11 -0500
Ron Stephan wrote:
> Under MPE-iX 5.5, can I network printers other than HP LaserJets? If
> so, how? Sure would appreciate a straight answer from somebody.

Here's about as straight an answer I can muster (assuming MPE/iX 5.5):

(1) You can network print to a JetDirect card or standalone JetDirect-EX
box (and any clones thereof, if any exist).  The JetDirect-EX has a
parallel port going out, so anything you can connect to that parallel
port can be connected.  Whether it works or not is another story.

(2) You can NOT do page level recovery (e.g., :SPOOLER nnn;SUSPEND;NOW
followed by a :SPOOLER nnn;RESUME;OFFSET=-5) on anything except actual
LaserJets (and clones) which support PJL (newer LaserJets).  You have to
restart from the beginning.

(3) If you are printing to something other than a LaserJet, you will
have to build a file with any necessary setup escape sequences required
by the printer, and use file equations with ENV=yoursetup.file.  If you
use NO environment file, the spooler generates a default LaserJet setup
sequence to set 66 lines/page, 132 cols/line, landscape mode like a
lineprinter.  You can't turn this "off" that I know of.

(4) There are numerous 3rd party solutions that will print on most
anything you can name :-)

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>