HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 3

From:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 11:33:12 -0800
Michael Gueterman said:

>True, but only if you don't get a rogue process that chews up ALL
>of the disk space.  I'd prefer the process to come down, than
>the entire system.  For the system set, I relax it a little
?more to 90/10 though.

What I said was:

>>Actually,
>>
>>I have always done 100,100 with nary a problem.  You can go to 100%
>>permanent and still leave room for transient by just not using all the
permanent.
>>I have configured hundreds of systems this way and never seen a problem.
>>
>>You will *not* crash your system this way.
>>
>>Bill

So much for the short answer :-) .

As I said before, I have configured literally hundreds of systems at 100,100
for the system volume set.  In fact, you can even increase the allocation on
ldev 1 from the default 75,75 to something line (86-93),100.  And I have
done that on many systems, as well.

My point isn't to be careless about how much free space you have.  Quite the
opposite.  I should have said that I usually recommend that you keep 20
percent free space.  If you do, you can stay with the 100,100.  I also
should have said that disk space utilization bears watching.  Which is why
we put in disk space utilization logging in SOS/3000 Performance Advisor
when I was still GM at Lund.

I should have also said that I am a big proponent of user volumes.  If you
move all your applications from the system volume set, and configure in
plenty of available space on the system volume set (to be used for MPE,
transient and spool space), you won't run out of disk space used for transient.

If you are using user volumes (and why aren't you, if you aren't :) ) you
would almost never configure at less than 100,100 since transient space is
only actually used on the system volume set.  The only legitimate reason for
configuring less than 100,100 is if you want to keep some disk space in reserve.

So, in summary I would rather spend a little time managing my disk
environment than pay a 25% premium for each of my disk drives, which is what
I would do if I didn't configure all of my space.

Lastly,  it really does make sense to pursue user volumes, if you haven't
already.

Bill
---
Bill Lancaster         Lancaster Consulting
(541)926-1542 (phone)  (541)917-0807 (fax)
[log in to unmask]       http://www.proaxis.com/~bill