HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 3

From:
Jeff Quade <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Quade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 13:21:14 GMT
We run a 996/500 with about 2G of disk space to support an AMISYS-based
HMO that carries about 200K members. We're trying to get awareness
of how HMO shops grow when their membership base reaches the 400K level
and beyond. AMISYS themselves say their largest customers run multiple
HP's connected with SharePlex, but we've recently become aware of a
couple of very large HMO's (700K members) running all their production
work on a single 995 or 996.

AMISYS published a study showing that a 996/800 can carry an HMO with
800K members without problems but some of their base assumptions (8 claims
per member per year, 1 HP user per 1500 members) do not match our
operation at all.

If you help maintain a large HMO, I'd *deeply* appreciate a note about
how you are configured hardware-wise. Thanks In Advance.