HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 3

From:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 10:30:37 PDT
>I have tried to download GNU Binary Distribution from
>jazz.external.hp.com and run install.hp3000(the shell script for
>installation), but failed. The following is the error message I got:

>tar: blocksize = 20
>/tmp/Xattributes.0: Unknown file type field value `x'
>tar: checksum error on tape (got 0, expected 268f)

>Please kindly provide some suggestions, thanks!

You must be running on an MPEiX 5.0 system! As of 5.5, tar by default
includes files that contain the attributes of the underlying MPE files
such that they can be restored with tar. However, 5.0 doesn't recognize
those additions and complains as above. The current version on Jazz was
built on a 5.5 machine before I discovered this 'feature'. There is a
version of gnu.tar on ftp.orbitsw.com as /pub/gnu.tar that is destined
for 5.0 machines. Try that one.

However, you may also be in for other problems. On a 5.0 machine, gcc
requires the POSIX Developer's Kit. If you don't have it (comes with
HP/C as a no cost addon and I believe is bundled with MicroFocus COBOL),
you won't be able to use gcc. On 5.5, these libraries are bundled with
FOS. I understand that if you can make a case through your normal sales
channels that you need the kit because you want to run gcc, HP'll make
it available to you on 5.0. However, I personally feel that 5.5 is a
better platform upon which to use these tools.

Regards,

M.