HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 3

From:
Art Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Art Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 16:17:46 -0800
I have to second and expound upon Lee's comments about vendor's dialling into
our computers.

HP always asks permission to dial in...also they check the passwords and login
methods at that time.

I have only had one company dial in with out permission and when I saw a login
to a "MGR" user for one of our production accounts I pulled the phone cord on
the modem and waited till they called and said "we somehow got cut off".

I then informed them of the *PROPER* procedure for logging into our 3k :)

Art Bahrs
+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------+
| Oregon Health Sciences Foundation         |The views here are no one's,  |
| Art Bahrs, Manager of Information Services|  least of all, mine!         |
| President, HP Oregon Regional Users Group (ORERUG)                       |
+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------+
| And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start.              |
| [log in to unmask] 'The Professor' Work: (503) 220-8333 Fax: (503) 228-9588 |

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 11/19/96 02:05pm >>>
Predictive Support has no function for incoming dialup of which I'm
aware.  Occasionally, the Response Center will upload upgraded
information to Predictive or a new codeword with which it accesses the
Response Center system, but this only occurs during a site-initiated
Predictive call.  HP should never be dialing into any system unless it
has the explicit permission of the system owner/administrator.

Predictive Support's User Guide is part no. 50779-90001.  The last
printing I have of this manual is from May 1990, so I'm not sure if
it's still available.

Lee Gunter          [log in to unmask]
HMO Oregon