HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 2

From:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 13 Nov 1996 06:23:13 +0200333_us-ascii Paul

Use Raid. You can put together a huge Raid archive on an NT or LINUX box
for a (relatively) small amount of money. Also back the data up to DAT,
DLT or whatever is the current flavour, but keep it on real disk.
Optical (CD-ROM etc.), whilst improving, will always be too slow and too
expensive. [...]36_13Nov199606:23:[log in to unmask]
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 08:28:49 -0500
By using ECHO, you can create an input file to FTP in which the name of
!RAFILE is resolved.

:IF FINFO("FTPIN","EXISTS") THEN
:    IF (![FINFO("FTPIN","FOPTIONS")] BAND 1 = 1) THEN
:        PURGE FTPIN
:    ENDIF
:ENDIF
:IF FINFO("FTPIN","EXISTS") THEN
:    IF (![FINFO("FTPIN","FOPTIONS")] BAND 2 = 2) THEN
:        PURGE FTPIN,TEMP
:    ENDIF
:ENDIF
:ECHO open {whatever} >FTPIN
:ECHO {username} >>FTPIN
:ECHO {password} >>FTPIN
:ECHO cd {directory information} >>FTPIN
:ECHO binary /*if binary mode is needed*/ >>FTPIN
:ECHO put !RAFILE target_file >>FTPIN
:ECHO exit >> FTPIN
:RUN FTP.ARPA.SYS<FTPIN

I assume you understand Command I/O Redirection (CIOR).  If not, please call.

While it may seem like excessive zeal to purge a temporary file in a job stream,
I always include the code as all of these routines are tested on-line first.
Thus, I always have a clone-potential for a new task.  I have been burned, in
testing, by a temporary file that already existed.  For example, if my first
ECHO statement had '>>' instead of '>', that's can be fun.

If you PRINT FTPIN, you will see the real name of RAFILE.

Leonard Berkowitz
RIA Group (Warren, Gorham & Lamont)
617-292-8349 (E. S. T.)