HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 15:06:44 -0500
I've been having a recent rash of problems (could be 5.5-specific) with
the OpenDesk DUALSRVR apparently "hanging" and refusing connections.  On
the client side, the following window appears when you attempt to sign
on:
       |          Error number 1801-1038            |
       |  Login failed - connection to the server   |
       |  has been lost [54]                        |
       |============================================|

There are no errors logged in the UALMAIL spool file log.  You will
receive this error from any PC you care to try it from, Windows 3.1
and Win95, WRQ's TCP/Windows and Win95's Microsoft TCP.

By some "fluke" I have discovered that if you do a MAILABORTUALUSER for
any of the currently-connected users, they are indeed aborted and
DUALSRVR will start accepting connections again (!).

This was initially happening with an X.03.03 build of OpenDesk, but I
have installed the "real" C.03.00 and have still had two hangs.  There
are still some users out there with X.03.03 clients that I'm in the
process of updating, but I rather doubt this to be a client problem (but
better safe than sorry).

Has anyone seen this?  Any suggestions?  Condolences?  Evil snickering?

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>