HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 2

From:
Rashid Khan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rashid Khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 16:13:27 -0800
On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Jeff Kell wrote:

> Rashid Khan wrote:
> >
> > We need to provide dial-in access to 7 remote (traveling) users to our
> > 969/KS100 system. Preferably this modem pool should be on network

> This can buy you TCP; if you want IPX/Appletalk/DECNet/etc you have a
> serious problem with some expensive solutions.  Please elaborate.
>
> Serial connections don't gain network access to the origin client.  You
> can use any networking facilities of the host you access, but you aren't
> really on the network, just accessing a networked host.
>
> Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks very much to those who offered the information which made things
clearer for us to realize that we can use exsiting modem pool to
connect to HP3000.

We do have a modem pool currently used by VMS and Unix users and they all
dial in using Ref2 or Ref4. I wanted to offer same functionality to HP3000
users. But having lack of information on NS/VT (that it needs TCP as a
transport), caused me to look at other solutions. My problem was using
Ref2 and 4 instead of Ref1 to dial in.

Currently using Ref1, I can dial in to our terminal server and telnet over
to the machine running MPE5.5, but I still have problem getting into our
character based appliaction. I type in random mix of control characters
to get the main menu which is written in Quick (I am aware of the extra
carriage return required to invoke Quick screen under 5.5). Once I am in
then there are no problems getting around in the application.

After I install the upcoming 5.5 powerpatch, which addresses some
limitations in telnet/iX server, we should be able to invoke the
application with out hassle, by dialing in using Reflctions1.