HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 1

From:
Ted Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 13:28:30 -0500
Maybe someone here can point me (or HP) in the right
direction here.

I am running a HP3000 959/KS 100, with MPE 5.00.02.  Since
last Thursday our NS/VT sessions have been dropping
off-line like flies...If they are able to connect in the
first place.  Our serial connections through our DTC-48
are working fine, as are all of our printers.  I have
rebooted the system several times, and reset the hub as
well.  We disconnected all 24 users from the hub, and
reconnected them one at a time, but the problem still
occured in each of the PC's except one.  I then disconnected
the fiber optic connection to the campus backbone, and
the problem still occured.  The one session which does
stay up is an old 286 running ODI...all the other sessions
are running WFWG 3.11.  We have never had any problems
before in over a year running with this configuration.
HP's first (and recurring) reason is that I am using
Minisoft instead of Reflection.

In addition we were going to install a new 4GB
hard drive to the system but I was told I needed
to be on MPE 5.00.06 to make it work.  Well in
running the "patch" this past weekend I got
a "SYSTEM ABORT 1486 from SUBSYSTEM 102) error.
So I got to start all over and I am back on 5.00.02.
HP has sent me another patch that I need to load
before I attempt the patch to 5.00.06 again, but in
the meantime my NS/VT sesssions are still dropping
off-line...any ideas?  We have already switched out
the hub and that didn't seem to make any difference
in the problem.  HP has also brought out a power
monitor to look at our current supply, but that so
far hasn't shown any abnormal reading.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Ted

Ted Johnson                         [log in to unmask]
Director/Technology Services        [log in to unmask]
Texas Lutheran University           (210) 372-8093
Seguin, TX  78155                   (210) 372-8096 FAX
Two rules for success in life:
     1.  Never tell anyone everything you know