HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 1

From:
Bryan O'Halloran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bryan O'Halloran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 18:52:19 +1100
Goetz Neumann wrote

>I seem to recall the system abort happens only if you specify a huge
>packet size. Pinging for diagnostic purposes with smaller packet sizes
>should not be a problem.

Just for luck I used one of our 9000s to ping our crash & burn 918.  It did
not cause a system abort but it did hang the 918 until we broke the ping
program on the 9000 . Nettool showed both incoming and outgoing buffers
were saturated. Maybe if we had tried a little longer we could have
achieved a System Abort.  We used the syntax in the HPUX group message.  It
was a nice way to pass Melbourne Cup Day (an important horse race down here
in Australia)

Bryan O'Halloran