HP3000-L Archives

November 1996, Week 1

From:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 13:51:32 -0800
On Nov 4, 10:29pm, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Subject: Windows FrontEnd for MPE/iX (was Data Cntr Mgmt Survey)
> Ken Sletten wrote...
> > (2)  Here's one more "I know it's blue-sky but they still
> > ought to do it" item I'll add to my "Other" list:  Do
> > a reasonably complete Windows95 / NT Workstation
> > front end to MPE/iX sub-systems.  I.e.:  End result is
> > a Windows icon with pull-down menus and etc. for at
> > least the standard sub-systems that have any level of
> > complexity, such as DBUTIL, NETTOOL, FTP/iX, etc.
>
> This reminds me of a recent article in hpYOUser, the German
> HP User Group magazine, where someone described something like
> an Easytime/iX for Windows. I think it was written in Visual
> Basic and used Reflection DDE for 3000 communication. It did
> cover things like spoolfile and job management, looked pretty
> neat for the casual MPE user (or GUI fan). I do not know if it
> also covered subsystems like DBUTIL, NETTOOL or FTP but the
> concept sounded quite extensible.

There is (or used to be) a product called "OP Sessions" from a company
in Incline Village, Lake Tahoe, CA.  I think there name is/was Cynet (??)
OP Session is a Windows front end to Spooling, Job Mgmt, User Mgmt, etc.
I saw a couple of demos and it seemed pretty good.  Neat way they formed
spooler selection equations.  I remember they ran a couple of ads in
Interact.

Jeff Vance, CSY