HP3000-L Archives

October 1996, Week 5

From:
Bob Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 08:39:13 -0500
At 1:46 PM +0000 10/30/96, Esko Lahdensivu wrote:
>To quote a posting from Jeff Vance, who quoted a survey by
>Amos & Associates in InterexPress (April 199x):
>
>*******************
>1995 employment marketplace breakdown of job openings for MPE
>versus HP-UX nationwide (hmm, propably means US):
>
>MPE:
>        84 % applications development
>        16 % system management or computer operations
>
>HP-UX
>        55 % applications development
>        45 % systems administration
>*******************
>
>So, people are needed in MPE environment to produce applications
>for end-users, whereas HP-UX environments need people just to
>manage the environment .... in my eyes the difference is noticeable,
>even if you argue that on HP-UX you use more canned (off-the-shelf)
>applications (the HP-UX application portion also inclueded various
>RDBMS DBA-tasks).
>
>Anyway, any conclusions are up to you .

I don't know about how other sites run hp9000's, but we run a t520, an h70,
827 and g40. (we have no hp3000 systems).

I am the primary sysadmin for all the 9000's, there is a secondary sysadmin
for the g40 (which is our academic
box used to teach programming classes).

A couple other technical people have root passwords on the hpux boxes (so
they can possibly help in a crisis if I am
not available), but for the most part, you could say we have:

        1.75 people doing sysadmin on the hp 9000 systems.

We have 1 dba, and 4 full-time and 1 part-time application folks (total of 6).
We also have an operations staff (normally 3 on 1st shift, 1 on 2nd and 1
on 3rd) to run the hp systems,
a sequent system for our library, and our ibm mainframe.

I don't feel that hpux systems necessarily need more support than MPE
systems.  Ours have been very reliable
(very few system crashes).

BTW, I have always enjoyed using hp systems...an hp-2000 timeshare system
was my 1st exposure to computer..but I
never had the chance to play with a 3000).

-boB

[log in to unmask]     ####  ####    Bob Brown - KB9LFR
Harper Community College   ##  ##  ##    Systems Programmer
Palatine IL USA            ####  ####    Saved by grace
(847) 925-6832 - Voice                   CIS:75552,344
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kb9lfr
Hark for I have hurled my words to the far reaches of the earth!
What king of old could do thus??