HP3000-L Archives

October 1996, Week 4

From:
Don Harrington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Harrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 16:06:47 -0700
In my experience, this is the way the spooler had _always_ worked.  It
was really and advantage when the fastest thing going was a 2608
(well...).  You could give several printers the same device class and
really improve your throughput in the I/O center.

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Barry Lake wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I recently added a second HP LaserJet 5Si to our system and configured it
> through NMMGR to have the same printer profile as the first one. Therefore,
> it has the same device class, in this case LJ.  I thought it was logical to
> assume now that we have two printers with the same device class that any
> printout sent to class LJ would generate a console message requiring a
> reply to resolve which printer we intended (as is currently the case with
> our three tape drives, all configured with the device class TAPE).  Instead
> the HP seems to choose arbitrarily a printer on its own.  I once sent
> several print jobs at the same time to device class LJ and found,
> surprisingly, that the printouts had been split between the two printers.
>
> I have since worked around the problem by allowing the users via command
> files to set up a default printer based on the LDEV number, rather than
> device class.  However, the above-mentioned behaviour doesn't seem normal,
> or consistent with what I've experienced in the past with MPE.  Any
> comments or explanations?
>
> TIA,
>
> Barry Lake
> System Manager
> Stanford Alumni Association

Don  Harrington                         Boeing Commercial Airplane Group
(206) 931-4457 voice                    P. O. Box 3707 M/S 5J-34
(206) 931-9085 FAX                      Seattle, WA  98124-2207

These thoughts are owned by the person expressing them, and no one else!