HP3000-L Archives

October 1996, Week 4

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 18:17:20 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> Has anyone installed more than one ThinLAN card(802.3) in their
> HP3000?  If so, why?  Would this, or could this improve the response
> time for systems that have 300+ users accessing the system, or
> would this be used for segmented networks?  When I open the back
> door to our HP3000, and know we have 400 users accessing our
> data through one twisted pair cable, it is quite amazing.
> Any information would be appreciated.

It can be done; though each lanic has to have a different IP address. I've
seen it in use; mostly in applications where DTCs were on on network and
Internet or another network was on another link. I've never heard of any
promises of better throughput though (other than the physical separation
of DTC traffic from other traffic - keeping it off the same wire which
improves the overall throughput on each wire and reduces the amount of
noise that each lanic has to deal with); putting two lanics on the same
wire (since they'd have different IP addresses) wouldn't likely buy you
anything by itself; to do any load balancing, you'd probably have to use
DNS tricks to cycle through IP addresses.

             -Chris Bartram