HP3000-L Archives

October 1996, Week 4

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 17:11:55 CDT
Hi, Paul.

|--------
|----------
|----------
|Who's right???

Short answer:  fact.

Simple practical answer:  The LAST time the commonly know (mod 4) leap year
test was inaccurate was in 1900 which was NOT a leap year.  The NEXT time it
will be wrong will be in 2100 which also will NOT be a leap year.

Longer practical answer minus the whys:  February 29 is added in leap years
which are year numbers divisible by 4, except for those divisible by 100
(which are not leap years), with a further exception (to the first exception)
that years divisible by 400 ARE leap years.

For a long answer and interesting pointers to other discussion areas refer
to the hp3000-l archives of several weeks ago.  I would suggest a search for
"leap year" at "http://raven.utc.edu/archives" under the hp3000-l link.
--
Jeff Woods
[log in to unmask] at Unison Software

"'My boy,' he said, 'you are descended from a long line of determined,
  resourceful, microscopic tadpoles -- champions every one.'"
      --  Kurt Vonnegut from "Galapagos"