HP3000-L Archives

October 1996, Week 4

From:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 09:42:00 PDT
I use Roadrunner (RR) myself.  I've used Orbit in another life.  I
believe RR is faster and that is my preference.  Primarily because is
that RR places the directory at the beginning of the tape (set) whereas
Orbit places it at the end of the tape (set).  Orbit will also let you
have it on a separate tape or disc file.  If you don't have the disc
file, I found it inconvenient to have to read one tape before you can
read the first, Esp. if it is a RELOAD or INSTALL.  (It must be a look
and feel issue, otherwise I think Orbit would have put theirs at the
beginning too.)

In RR you get a redo stack.

You can append to the same tape.

A one-way version restorable with traditional RESTORE is at the beginning
of the tape, so you can restore a RR backup to another machine that
doesn't have RR.

There is a some sort of algorithm built into the tape (could be hashing
or markers) that restores a file quickly.  I think the traditional
restore sequentially reads through the entire tape before you get the
file you're looking for.  In other words, file zzz.zzz.zzz would be near
the end of a store made using store @[log in to unmask]@. (This could be a long time on
a DAT.)

RR interleaves during store, configurable from 1 to 8 files at a time.

The high compression module is extra, 4:1 ratio.

Stores to a disc file if you want.  Even partially, so that when all
tapes are full, the rest can go to a disc file until the next new tape is
loaded.

You can select using "MPEX style" file sets i.e. using MODDATE, CREDATE
and ACCDATE.

This has become a plug so I'll guess I'll quit now.