HP3000-L Archives

October 1996, Week 4

From:
Larry Byler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Byler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 19:58:10 GMT
David Kallman ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Is anyone having a problem with blank page ejects on a SERIAL printer under
: 5.5?  There's a known problem with
: 5.5 printing to a networked printer when the output was created in
: pre-spaced mode (cobol and fortran I believe), but the
: S/R (4701-328658) doesn't say anything about serial printers as well. I was
: told by the RC that no patch would be issued, a fix would be in 6.0, and
: that there's no workaround.

: Am I reading the S/R wrong and this problem really does affect all spooled
: printers?

If serial printers are throwing blank pages, it's a different problem than
the one involving network printers.  The NP problem is entirely within its
program file (OUTSPTJ.PUB.SYS).  All other printers, including serial
printers, use OUTSPOOL.PUB.SYS, which, AFAIK, did not change in this area.

I believe any such problems could be traced to the serial Printer Storage
Manager, which has a different owner than the spooler.  Don't know of any
specific changes to the SPSM for 5.5.

-Larry "MPE/iX Spoolers 'R' Us" Byler-