HP3000-L Archives

October 1996, Week 3

From:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:49:54 EDT
Curt Tueffert <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>What I am doing is compiling a list of people who have left the HP3k family,
the
>people who are staying, and the ones on the fence.

So far, our company is staying.  We have three major applications on our HP3000:
a custom order entry system, a package accounting system, and a custom labor
efficiency system.  The order entry and labor efficiency systems are pretty
secure (we're a wire and cable manufacturer and order entry is really
different), but the accounting system is on the chopping block.  We bought it in
1989 (along with the first HP3000, we're now on our third HP3000) and my
predecessor decided to drop support a year later.  So now we have a hopelessly
outdated system.  We have looked at other accounting systems for the HP3000
(notably FMS - $$$$$$), but the controller really wants to move to a C/S
accounting system.  While losing this system to a PC won't really hurt the HP,
it won't help it either.  I'm trying to position the HP as a database and print
server for C/S applications, but it's really a tough sell.

So, it looks like we're an HP3000 shop for the near future.  After that, all
bets are off.

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: (330) 527-2124                   P. O. Box 285
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   Garrettsville, Ohio  44231