HP3000-L Archives

October 1996, Week 3

From:
"Rudderow, Evan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rudderow, Evan
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 12:34:00 EDT
Raymond Deans <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Recently, Gary Dietz of Whitman College posted a message about his site's
>experience with a "buffer overflow" problem with both the OMI webserver
>and the NCSA webserver on the HP3000.  A simple statement of the problem
>is this: A "large" HTML page sent to the user from the webserver is often
>incomplete; it is missing some quantity of bytes and is unusable.
>
>Because both products appeared to have the same problem, Gary implied
>the real problem may lie elsewhere (MPE internals? POSIX interface?) and
>noted that an SR had been opened with HP.  SRN has duplicated the problem
>on small HP3000s (S/918 and S/928) under 5.0 and 5.5 MPE/iX.
>
>As many of you know, SRN has a Web product for the HP3000 called IRISLink,
>and our clients -- some with NCSA and some with OMI -- have reported the
>same problems when dealing with "large" HTML pages generated by our CGI
>programs.  Their HP3000's range from small, resource-starved systems to
>large, resource-rich systems. The problem occurs with all of the popular
>browsers. There does not seem to be a problem with pages under 16Kb in
>size.  Larger than that, results are unpredictable.

<snip>

Since Raymond reports that the problem occurs even on large, resource-rich
systems I'd be inclined to look at the HP3000's network configuration
parameters.  It occurs to me that the problem might also be related to the
HP3000's network software or even some limitation in the networking
hardware...

 -- Evan