HP3000-L Archives

October 1996, Week 3

From:
Lance Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lance Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 01:12:33 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "D.A. van Delft"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>David Randall <[log in to unmask]> wrote in article
><snip>
>
>> Despite having worked with 3000's for many years now I have either
>forgotten -
>> or never
>> knew - is there a way of listing files in a group in date order
>(modified,
>> accessed or
>> created?)
>>

>Ah, one of the many goodies of POSIX. Try the command 'ls' (or, if you
>insist, LS.HPBIN.SYS).
>From the posix shell prompt: 'ls -m', 'ls -u', 'ls -c' for modified,
>accessed, created.
>
>Hope this helps!
>Danny

It's nice to see that while another respondent suggested buying
a third party utility package to accomplish the task at hand,
thanks to the SCOPE of features in UNIX, no extra $CASH is
required to solve the problem.  It would be interesting to know
the price of the suggested pacakge.  As commercial software, I'd
bet it's expensive, given the relatively small market into which
MPE applications are sold!  After all,

        Small potenial market
       ----------------------- = High Software Prices
          Developent costs

and/or

          Small potenial market
       --------------------------- = No solution developed
        Too high developent costs

You MPE diehards just don't know what you're missing by sticking
with a STABLE but old, frumpy, feature deficient O/S like MPE!

Don't worry about flames!  I'm wearing my asbestos jockey
shorts.

Perhaps one day I'll write up the story of how my employer,
against my recommendation, dropped our SCO UNIX/Informix
accounting system in favor of an MPE/ix & Image based
"solution."  The worker bees in accounting are up in arms
about all the things they've had to give up with the
new system.  In fairness to MPE/ix, many of the lost
features are the result of the new but OLD, FRUMPY (COBOL based),
accounting package.  However, other giveaways, such as
the inability of dumb terminals to run multiple sessions
(ala "Multiview Mascot" or "Facet Term" - both running on
 many UNIX platforms and the lack of a modern support
 and admin. tools like "Double Vision"  and "Informix
 ISQL" that lets me knock out FAST, EASY reports and
 quick and dirty SCREEN FORMS for accessing/correcting/
 updating raw data is just pathetic!)

More than that, though we now have a FAST computer, compared
to the SLOW 486-DX25 MHz machine that we replaced, it takes
the accounting staff MUCH LONGER to do what they need to do
than was the case on the five year old system that was to have
been axed!  I say "was to have been axed" because, owing to
MPE/ix's OBSCURITY, Lotus 1-2-3 does not run on it!  And the
editor on the 3000 is nightmare.  Shades of "EDLIN".  As a result,
the UNIX system that was to have been retired by the ill-advised
people behind the "Down with UNIX, in with MPE" plan, continues
to live on!  For PC users, they can access both systems from
one desktop, but oh the poor users of dumb terminals!  They MUST
have TWO TERMINALS, since HP requires such ODD TERMINALS!

I will say that I do like the HP method of showing the "F-Keys" as
labeled buttons on the screen a nice feature.  I also like the ability
to scroll back up a screen that has already been scrolled out of view
by new data.  But, overall, the new environment is pretty sad!

 Lance Hamilton                   |           email: [log in to unmask]
 I.S. Manager                     |
 Pacific Agri-Products, Inc.      |           voice: (415) 873-0440
 South San Francisco, CA          |             fax: (415) 873-9310